Volleyball looks ahead this season

After not making state last season, the women’s volleyball team is focused to make that shortcoming a distant memory.

“We are expecting to compete in every game,” LeValley Pattison, coach, said. “We are a young team. At times there will be four freshmen on the court.”

Ashleigh Gideon, captain and outside hitter, was on last season’s team. Gideon said the goal is nothing short of making state. “We didn’t make state last season,” Gideon said. “We have many young new players and we’re looking at changing that.”

Another challenge this team faces is accommodating the many new incoming players. Only three players are returning from last season and all three are now captains.

“Freshmen will have an immediate impact, we have twins from West Torrance, both will start,” Pattison said. “Lauren Edwards will play in the middle and is a great blocker, Kaitlyn Edwards will see time on the outside as well as the rightside. Both are athletic and very coachable.”

Another captain on the team, Donella DiDomineco, plays the libero position but said she is looking to take on a bigger role in helping the team make it back to state. “We need more leadership on the court,” DiDomineco said. “We need to work hard to help the team this year so they can use what they learn next year.”

With determined veterans leading a young team for a tough season ahead, Pattison said the team is capable of being one of this season’s best. “We have a lot of talent. With very hard work we should be one of the top teams in the conference.”