Necessary pool renovations set back water polo summer preparations

Limited summer practices and a decrease in returning players may have a negative effect on the men’s and women’s water polo teams this season, but only time will tell, coach Corey Stanbury said.
The pool was closed for most of the summer due to necessary repairs, putting a damper on the summer practice schedule.
“The teams were only able to practice for two hours a day for only two weeks in August,” Stanbury said.
Stanbury had one goal for the women’s team and that was to find more players.
“This season I was able to add more women to the team which has always been an issue,” Stanbury said. “More players on the team means less fatigue and more motivation.”
Paige Canning, 19, is a new player who has high hopes for the women’s team this season.
“I’m really excited that I was able to make the team this season,” Canning said. “I love my new teammates and I think with just a little more practice and hard work, we will prevail.”
Some of the returning players are Julie Bower, Chloe Rodriguez and Terry Yano, but the men’s team is “another story,” Stanbury said.
“We have a smaller men’s team this season and fewer returning players,” Stanbury said. “I can’t complain though. Those who did not return are continuing their education at universities.”
Probably their biggest loss was former goalkeeper David Olson, 20, Stanbury said.
“David was one heck of a goalkeeper,” Stanbury said. “He’s moving on to bigger and better things and I applaud him for that.”
Noah Rhubke, 19, is one of the few returning players.
“I see us having a rough start, but all I can do is hope for the best,” Rhubke said. “We have a great coach who always knows how to push us to be the best we can be.”
Both teams will be facing Long Beach City College (LBCC), which won second in the state last year, next Wednesday Sept. 15. The women will be playing at 3 p.m. and the men will be playing at 4 p.m.
“LBCC is a very talented team and personally I think both teams are not quite ready for such a tough first match,” Stanbury said.
This season both the men’s and women’s teams are working towards performing as well as last seasons teams.
“We just need to take it one drill at a time,” Stanbury said. “Next week’s matches may be brutal, but we need all the competition that we can get.”