Former third baseman finds his place behind home plate

When ace pitcher Kyle Petter needed someone to catch for him during an Atlanta Braves visit, childhood friend Aaron Deguire filled the catching vacancy.
Despite not having caught since little league, Deguire was so impressive behind the plate that the scout suggested he permanently move to catcher if he wanted a shot at playing professional ball.
“It was always a dream,” Deguire said. “It’s always a kid’s dream to play professional ball.”
It took no time for Deguire to adapt to his new position, quickly taking control behind the plate as the starting catcher for the Warriors.
Before catching, Deguire was already one of the best infielders in the South Coast Conference (SCC), but his true expertise was really behind the plate, which is in part due to having one of the strongest arms in Southern California.
Deguire, who was a catcher up until high school, was then moved to shortstop, where he received All-Area honors at West High School. Later, after playing third base his first season at EC, he was moved behind the plate again, where he flourished as a player and a leader on the field.
“Leading is fun,” Deguire said. “I can manage the game and be in every single pitch, as opposed to playing third base, where I get a ground ball every other inning.”
Dequire was once again honored by the SCC, receiving the first-team All-SCC and had a .347 batting average, with 30 runs scored, 33 RBIs, and two homeruns.
“He had to learn a new position and was able to transition without a problem,” coach Nate Fernley said. “He has a good chance of being drafted.”
Since returning to his natural position, Deguire has improved his leadership skills, according to Fernley, who says that he always tries to help other players improve where they need.
“We are where we are because of his leading abilities,” Fernley said. “He sees something wrong and instead of negatively reacting to it, he finds way to help other’s get better.”
Petter, who has played with Deguire since the age of ten holds his battery mate in high regard.
“I’d rather have him behind the dish because he’s such a good player,” Petter said.
The Torrance native’s love of the game has existed since the tender age of five when he began playing the sport.
“It’s just the game that I’ve played my whole life and it is my whole life,” Deguire said. “Baseball is life.”