Women’s water polo team getting stronger

Another long stretch of playing proved to be detrimental to the women’s water polo team as it played a conference game on top of a two-day tournament over the course of last week.
First up was a conference game against Chaffey on Oct. 14 where the women put up a tough front, but lost 15-4.
“We had decent defense and I was happy with our performance,” coach Corey Stanbury said.
The women showed their strong defense with a total of 6 steals during the game.
The team had a chance for rebuttal when it played Chaffey again during a tournament at Citrus College over the course of Friday and Saturday.
“We played pretty well and did good,” Stanbury said in regards to the second game.
The women played well, but lost 13-5.
The Warriors took home a win in the Friday game against Santa Monica City College with a final score of 10-4.
“We completely dominated and it was our best game,” Stanbury said.
The Warriors have been going back and forth with Santa Monica’s team all season, so the win was a refreshing one.
“We had five different players score (against Santa Monica),” Stanbury said.
Among those players were Chloe Rodriguez and Erica Shaw, who scored three times each.
In addition, Amanda Sloss made two goals during the game.
“Alex (Stumpf) did really well, too, with I believe eight saves,” Stanbury said.
The win pushed them into a higher bracket for the next day of the tournament and pitted them against much tougher teams.
The Warriors played against Citrus and Pasadena City colleges next.
The team lost both games, though the other teams had to fight for the wins.
The loss against Citrus College was 7-3. The final score against Pasadena City College was 5-2.
“We are getting better defensively and so the games are getting closer,” Stanbury said.
This improvement was displayed during the game against Pasadena where almost every Warrior made at least one steal. Rodriguez managed an impressive seven steals.
Goalkeeper Stumpf kept up the defense of the team, improving her stats and keeping the ball out of the Warriors’ goal.
The Warriors will play again next against Long Beach City at the pool starting at 4 p.m.