Warriors not giving up No. 1 ranking

Ken Ashley’s 3-yard touchdown run early in the second half helped the Warriors regain control over College of the Desert and later resulted in a dominating 42-20 victory.
After making halftime adjustments and hearing a strong message from coach John Featherstone, the team responded on its opening drive.
“Well we started out good. We jumped out on them with a 15-0 lead and had a chance to go up 21-0 on them, but the catch by Tony Sekona was intercepted on the 15-yard line,” Featherstone said.
The Warriors nearly blew a 15-point lead in the second quarter, when they allowed the Roadrunners to score 13 unanswered points.
“We got a little flat and we lost our killer instinct,” Featherstone said. “But we got that killer instinct back in the third quarter and we scored two touchdowns and had them go three and out.”
“We went back to playing physical football and we dominated them in the third quarter,” Featherstone said.
With this week off, the team will take it easy, before going back to business next week.
“We’re going to prepare for the biggest game of the year since the Bakersfield game,” Featherstone said. “Today the team watched videos and lifted weights and will practice on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and all of next week.”
The Warriors next game is Oct.31 against Mt. San Antonio College at 6 p.m. in Murdock Stadium. The Mounties are currently ranked No. 9, while the Warriors remain the No. 1 ranked team in the nation, according to JCGridiron.com.
“This is the toughest game since the Bakersfield game and they (Mt. SAC) have been to three state championship games in the last 11 years and they always play us tough,” Featherstone said.
The Warriors will look to rebound from last year’s 26-21 lost to Mt. SAC, who a season ago were ranked No.1.
The Warriors had 499 yards of offense, including 164 on the ground and 335 on the air.
On offense, quarterback Matt Simms went 22-30 for 326 yards and a touchdown.
Wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins had seven catches for 74 yards.
Ashley had 129 yards on eight carries and two touchdown scores.
Running back Tony Sekona had eight yards on two carries and a touchdown and had five carries for 48 yards.
“It was tough, but I got it in thanks to the offensive line of Ashley and LaFelton Traxler,” Sekona said.
Wide receiver Erik Stewart had a catch for 27 yards.
On defense, cornerback Mike Harris and defensive line Daniel Stewart had good performances.
“Our coverage was meant for me to play the flat and COD had been running outs all game from that formation and the defensive line got some pressure and their quarterback made a bad throw and I was in position to make a play,” Harris said.
“Last year they beat us, but we beat them the previous three years and the sophomores want to win this game,” Featherstone said. “This is the first time in four years that they come to Murdock Stadium and we’re not going to be the heavy underdogs.”