Questionable goal results in loss for EC

A valiant effort and effective goalkeeper performance were not enough to get the women’s soccer team a win at last Friday’s game against Cerritos at Murdock Stadium. The final score was 2-0. The team plays next against East Los Angeles tomorrow at 4 p.m. at home.
“It was a great game; it was just an unfortunate outcome for us,” Jaymie Baquero, assistant coach, said.
The team had a very strong first half, constantly giving problems to Cerritos with the defense. In addition, the goalkeeper, Alicia Sala, made numerous saves that helped keep the game close.
The teams were tied 0-0 as the second half started. The offense and defense of each team seemed evenly matched. Then the first goal was made when EC’s defense faltered.
“The first goal was just a breakdown by the team, it was a mistake and it got our heads down,” Baquero said.
Hall said the team continued to fight for control of the game, however, not backing down against the momentum that was slowly shifting in Cerritos’ favor.
The second goal occurred as the game neared the end, making it adifficult for the Warriors to take home the win.
Sala made a save, but referees ruled the ball crossed the line and went past the net, resulting in a goal for Cerritos.
“I don’t think it went in. The goalkeeper’s body is allowed to pass the line, but I don’t think the ball passed the line,” Baquero said.
Kelly Barnard, team captain, also thought the ball did not go in.
“That was not a goal,” Barnard said. “She (Sala) made a good play, the ref just made a bad call.”
Despite the loss, the team was happy with its performance. Baquero said the players gave the game their best.
“We did well, compared to what we have been doing, but we need to work on finishing the game,” Stephanie Hall, also a team captain, said.
Barnard agreed that the game was a good effort on EC’s behalf. She added that the passes were really well done and the transitioning was also good.