Men Water Polo preview

After coming so close to play offs last year the ECC men’s water polo team is determined to reach that goal in the 2009 season, with their first chance coming against LA Valley this afternoon. “This season may be different” says head Coach Corey Stanbury due to the fact that they not only have strong return players but also many new players have joined the team. “The team is monstrous this year; we have 27 players” Stanbury says. All of these players will hopefully help to bring the team more wins this year in the exceptionally competitive South Coast conference. “Last year was good, even without going to play offs” Stanbury says. The team placed fourth in the 2008 season, which is strong in a conference that boasts two teams that advanced to the State Championships in the 2008 season. “All of the teams are tough, and just like with the women the games will be close” Stanbury says. Fortunately though the team has strong return players such as goalkeeper David Olson, who boasted 180 saves during the 2008 season. Returning along with Olson is Jeff Craver a solid player who holds the position of driver. “We’re going to be competitive this year” Stanbury predicts. The=2
0first game of the season is a home game against LA Valley starting at 4pm. “Last year this game was close and we want to win this year” Stanbury says and those words aren’t surprising coming from any coach. “We have a strong returning team and many new standouts” Stanbury says, all of which should add up to an exciting and competitive season to watch out for.