football beat

It’s 3rd quarter. Southwest punts the ball, only to have it intercepted by Warriors defensive back David Mack. He picks up the punt at the 1 yard line, and walks the ball to the enzone. The Warrior fans applaud from the stadium.
The game ends with a score of 46-12, Warriors defeating the Southwest Cougars by over thirty points. Coach John Featherstone is not surprised that his team did so well. At practice, he had said that their goal was to win the first game of the season. He was not disappointed.
“They played pretty much the way I expected,” said Featherstone of his team.
The Warriors spent this summer preparing for the fall season. Every Tuesday and Thursday, they had two hours of conditioning. Featherstone said this one of the key reasons of their success, and has used the same training regimen for over twenty years.
“If it’s not broken,” said Featherstone, “don’t fix it.”
Returning players for this team include wide receiver Kenbrel Thompson, full back and wide receiver Ken McRoyal, defensive line Odino Etienne, back free safety and corner back Octavius Leftwich, defensive line Odino Etienne, and last year’s MVP, tight end and wide receiver Daniel Stewart.
“Sophomore leadership has been great,” said Featherstone.
New this season includes wide receiver and corner back Eric Maniefield, wide receiver and quarterback Tyson Hawley, running back Dominique Barnes, line backer Charrod Jefferson, quarterback Dex Lucci, offensive tackle Mathius Rezzato, and quarterback Matt Simms.
“Matt brings Division 1 experience and is a no nonsense guy,” said Featherstone.
Filling in for Jimmy Coy, Matt Simms has been training with the Warriors since summer. Featherstone said that the team was embracing Matt. The coach also said of Matt that he is open minded and is takes constructive criticism well.
“He knows we really got to focus,” says Etienne. “I feel like he’s going to play a big role in the game as the season goes on.”