Tennis teams can’t shake losing ways

Sergio Guerra knew he needed to settle down, especially with his doubles parter being injured in a recent match against Mt. San Antonio College.

“The first match, I was forcing some shots. I started making my shots and I came back to win the match,” Guerra said.

Kacy Turner and Tatiana Steward won a close doubles match over Mt. SAC for the women and Guerra won his match, coming back in a tiebreaker despite partner Jon Duarte being held down by a bad back in his loss against Victor Valley College.

The men would lose 6-3 to Victor Valley and the women lose 6-3 to Mt. SAC.

The Warriors’ next match is today, when the men host College of the Desert and the women travel to Rio Hondo.

Both the men and women have the a record of 4-8.

“We are struggling with injuries. Eunice (Nau) and (Steward) have arm injuries and Kristle (Davis) has been out for a couple of matches with a calf injury. Lisa Odland has a foot injury. The men have just Keith Boggero out with a serious elbow injury,” coach Steve Van Kanegan said.

At the end of the season, the men and the women are losing their top two players from this year.

The women are losing Turner and Davis and the men will be losing Tsuyoshi Nagaoka and Boggero.

Every week the men and women are improving on their fundamental skills.

“They are getting much better. Everybody is picking up speed on their serves and being more consistent,” Van Kanegan said.

Scores for all matches against Victor Valley and Mt. SAC were not available at press time.

With the regular season coming to a close for the Warriors Tuesday, the men and women are looking forward to the state tournaments.

“Considering the first year players and injuries and ineligible players early on, I was pleased with the improvement, especially with a losing record,” Van Kanegan said.