Sensei teaches more than just boxing

As his students walked sadly around the dojo during a quiet Monday morning, boxing instructor Mitsura Yamashita realized that his class was in need of one of his patented, inspirational pep talks.

The class listened and stood still.

The 67-year-old Yamashita has been a boxing instructor for 47 years. “Mits” or “sensei”, as his students refer to him, is known for his positive attitude and his motivational speeches.

“(Yamashita) is very passionate at what he does and he is very caring of the students,” business major Steven Perez said. “He makes the class fun and he will lighten your day when you are down.”

One of Yamashita’s approaches in life is to never believe what society’s labels are.

“People believe what other people tell them,” Yamashita said. “It’s nonsense. People always try to impress others and when they fail, that’s when they get heartbroken.”

Yamashita’s passion to teach boxing dates back when he trained with Chuck Norris during his early 20’s.

When Norris was beginning his boxing and karate careers, he ran a small dojo in old Torrance.

“(Norris) was really intense,” Yamashita said. “That intensity rubbed off on me. He had a dojo about the size of this (Yamashita’s) office and we used to go back and forth in that tiny little room. I’ll never forget it. But I could never have imagined him being a movie star.”

Although he is very passionate about teaching boxing, he utilizes the class as a tool to mentor students in life.

Yamashita spends extra time with his students to coach the proper technique and form because he recognizes that some students are more talented than others or are in better shape.

“He’ll make sure that you’re not messing up and he will correct you but he won’t be all up in your face unlike other sensei’s would,” 20-year-old George Pineda said. “He is very helpful.”

Yamashita wants to use his class as an escape for students who are stressed out from their academic work. He emphasized that the word “worry” is an enemy that we have to fight hard against.

“They are always worried,” Yamashita said. “Worried about school, life, jobs, their grades and it takes a toll on them up to a point where even this class brings them stress.”

“I don’t want that. I want them to come here, laugh and enjoy not just this class but life in general.”

While Yamashita lives his life like a Zen master now, as a young man he constantly troubled by the unpredictable aspects of life.

“When I was around (his students’) age, I used to worry all the time so I know how they feel,” Yamashita said. “But for what? What did I worry for? Nothing. I got old quick because of that and now that I’m really old, I am living life as it should be lived, because life is beautiful.”

Yamashita urges his students to appreciate the small things in life.

“In this day in age, especially the economy we are in, it is all about money, respect, nice cars and houses,” Yamashita said. “But really, happiness is about being able to laugh at a joke, being able to be happy because you still have a house, a car and a family. But people are spending a lot of their energy competing with others and using others as a measuring stick. That will make you old real quick.”

Yamashita is well liked by his students not only because of his ability to inspire them, but also because he often spends time with them outside the class.

“I think it’s great when I do go with them because it gives me a better understanding of my students,” he said. “It helps me relate to them more.”

On that Monday when his students were moping around the dojo, once again Yamashita had his words of wisdom to share.

“Come on you guys,” Yamashita said. “I know it’s Monday and you guys are sad and worrying about your problems but remember why you’re here.”

“You have a purpose in life.”