Dive team ready to make a splash

Kelly Turner has left competitors surprised and waiting to see how well the Warrior dive team will do after noticing an improvement in his form.

“It’s amazing the improvements he has accomplished,” dive captain David Austin said.

The past two dual dive meets were at EC, the first against Cerritos and Rio Hondo colleges and the second against Mt. San Antonio and L.A. Trade Tech colleges.

“We are all happy with the results of our hard work,” dive coach Laurie Dawdy said.

With the South Coast Conference Championships April 10-11, Turner’s improvements could not have come at a better time.

“(Turner) has learned the dives and is now refining them,” Dawdy said.

The dive team has taken risks that are now showing results.

“(Austin) is just a Herculean god,” swimmer Taylor McGowan said.

Austin, the captain of the team, dove a combination of six dives off the one-meter dive board against Cerritos to break EC’s school record set by Wendell Perkins in 2005.

“(Austin) is breaking as many school records as he can,” swim captain Shon Page said.

In both meets, the dive team wiped out the competition and took the top four spots, including Brill Hernandez, who was out the first half of the season wit a shoulder injury.

With hopes of getting at least three divers to state championships, Dawdy has worked with the divers everyday in order to refine their dives.

The Warriors encourage each other, especially Pedro Quinones and Jose Bahena, to dive better every time.

“It depends on whose day it is, but that would be very exciting to see (Bahena) and (Quinones) compete in the conference championships,” Dawdy said.

Bahena placed second against Cerritos and Rio Hondo. Quinones placed second in the meet against Mt. SAC and L.A. Trade Tech beating Bahena.

Even women’s swim captain Alex Stumpf noticed that Bahena and Quinones place high frequently in their respective meets.

The dive team will compete one last time at the Pasadena Invitational this weekend before the conference championships.

“It will be interesting to see how other divers progressed. We don’t know what to expect and will only have a week to make any necessary adjustments,” Dawdy said.

Swim coach Corey Stanbury is very confident to see the swim team make it to state and looking forward to EC hosting the diving conference championship.

“They are the most powerful squad in Southern California,” Stanbury said.

“Hopefully we get more than one diver in state finals.