Men’s lack of height contributes to poor rebounding

With the 2008-09 season already said and done, the Warrior men’s basketball team finished with an overall record of 14-14 going 5-5 in South Coast Conference play. The team finished third in conference play behind rivals Cerritos and Long Beach Colleges. The team lost its final three conference games by a combined total of five points, and the majority of the players on the team agree that rebounding deficiencies may have cost them a playoff run.

“Rebounding the basketball is definitely something we need to improve on as a team going in to next season,” freshman forward David Vazquez said.

A lack of size in the interior hurt the Warriors most in the 14 losses. With the tallest player on the team standing at 6 feet 5 inches, coach Paul Landreaux knows he will need to recruit this summer for taller players in order to address the rebounding problems of 2008-09. Despite finishing with a .500 record, the Warriors had players who had outstanding individual seasons.

Steve Perez and David Vazquez earned first team all-conference, and captain Lonnie Bennett earned an honorable mention. The Warriors also have a Division 1 prospect in Chris Lawrey who hopes to pursue a career at the next level.

“I counted on (Perez, Cazquez and Lawrey) all season to jump start the team,” Landreauz said. “They showed leadership when the team was struggling.”

Some players have personal goals on and off the court. Sophomore Lonnie Bennett is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in sociology and wishes to continue to pursue his dream playing for a division1 college.

“I feel that in order to play at the next level, I have to work on my speed and quickness,” Bennett said.

Vazquez, freshman power forward, feels that he must work on strengthening his body.

“I want to work on my jump shot and being more consistent with it,” Vazquez said. “I want to focus on my rebounding technique to better help the team next season.”

Looking ahead to next season, the Warriors have set goals and are confident they can win 20 games.

If the Warriors can reach that goal, it should put them in contention for the conference championship.

The 2008-09 Warriors were led by Landreaux, who led EC to championships in the past. Landreaux replaced Michael Fenison who now is athletic director.

Landreaux last coaching job was six years ago before returning to coach the Warriors this season. Landreaux has more than 40 years of experience in coaching men’s basketball.

“I had no real expectations coming into this season because I didn’t know my personnel,” Landreaux said.

“I didn’t know how our team would react to pressure situations.”

Landreaux said he believes the Warriors should be much improved next season if the players remain dedicated and work hard on getting better defensively while building up their stamina, strength and conditioning, shooting, and of course rebounding.

“Our zone defense stifled our opponents in most of the games we won and helped us stay competitive in games we lost,” Landreaux said.

“It was a joy and a pleasure to coach again, and I would gladly do it again if I were asked by the (EC) athletic board,” Landreaux said

“I believe this team can do a lot better next season and improve on its record,” Landreaux said.

“I feel the little things like rebounding the ball in crucial moments cost us at least a share of the conference championship.”