Warriors kick themselves into ground at Mt. SAC

F ailing to capitalize on opportunities to earn victories on Friday, both the men’s and women’s soccer squads collapsed on Tuesday with meteoric blowouts against Mt. San Antonio College.

“It was the darkest day in my coaching career. Both teams failed to live up to potential,” coach John Britton said.

Losing to Pasadena 3-1 on Friday followed by an undermanned road loss to Mt. SAC 8-0, the men are looking to avoid a five-game losing streak when it hosts the Long Beach City College Vikings tomorrow.

“Along with the U.S. economy, the men’s soccer teams’ stock is plunging,” Britton said.

Failing to take advantage of various scoring opportunities, the men were unable to keep the pressure on Pasadena, losing a 1-0 lead in the first half and getting blitzed in the second half 3-0.

“We came out flat and overconfident in the second half,” freshman midfielder Scott Sinclair said. “We thought we were going to play the same team, but they realized they had to play well and we were not prepared for them.”

The continuing road woes for the Warriors do not seem to be finding an end soon, as the men have not won on the road yet this season.

“We were simply out-classed by a very efficient Mt. SAC team,” Britton said.

Facing the worst blowout of the season, coach Eddie Barragan pulled all of his first half starters for the second half, bearing the same results, allowing four goals in each half.

“Mt. SAC came to play and we did not. This could be clearly born out by the fact that they were up 2-0 in the first five minutes,” Britton said.

Going on the road shorthanded took its toll on the men, as they struggled to fill the spots with the same efficiency, not marking the other team as well.

“We got caught marking loose and we usually do that well. We did not play to the challenge given,” Chris Lopez said.

On the women’s side, the team earned a 2-2 tie on Friday against Pasadena and was then blown out 6-0 by powerhouse Mt. SAC on Tuesday.

By accumulating ties, the women’s team is facing a similar problem as last season, not earning enough wins to make the playoffs.

Running out of time midway through the season, the Warriors have an overall record of 8-4-6 and are 2-2-2 in conference.

“Physically, Mt. SAC was stronger, quicker to the ball and more accurate,” Britton said.

“For the first half, we were chasing shadows. In the second half, we got our bearings but it was too little too late,” Britton said.

The field conditions at Mt. SAC were slick, as both Mounties men’s and women’s teams used this to gain its home field advantage. The Warriors were not able to adjust well to these variables.

“Based on this performance, we have to exact revenge on Friday against Long Beach,” Britton said.

“That should give us a better chance at the playoffs,” Britton said.