Men’s team matches last year’s win total

Goalie Spencer Wheeler directed his teammate to cover the Rio Hondo player to his right. As he put his arms up in anticipation for the shot from the open man to his right, the ball was thrown and Wheeler batted the ball away to deny Rio Hondo what could have been an easy goal.

That was the type of game the Warrior’s men’s water polo team played yesterday as they defeated the Road Runners, 14-10.

The Warriors are to play against a tough Long Beach Community College team, which is rated No. 2 in the state.

“They are in a whole different league from where we are,” coach Corey Stanbury said.

“I’d still like to see us continue to do some things we’ve been working on and if we can do that we’ll be okay.”

Despite having a difficult game on the horizon, the Warriors played what might be considered their most complete game against Rio Hondo yesterday.

The Warriors controlled the game from start to finish as they outscored the Road Runners in each of the first three quarter. Stanbury can see that the team is improving.

“There were a few instances where we were a little rough around the edges,” coach Corey Stanbury. “I think we’re getting a lot more control with what we’re doing.”

Wheeler controlled the cage on defense as he and his teammates held Rio Hondo to only two scores in three of the four quarters.

“The coaches have been working us hard,” Wheeler said. “We’ve definitely made an improvement from last year.”

Freshman Brian Kohler, who led the team with five goals in yesterday’s contest, knows the team still is not as good as they could be.

“We are a little out of shape right now, but as the season goes along, we are going to continue to get better,” Kohler said.

“Last year we won two games; this year we’re going to win a lot more.

Even though the team has already matched its win total from last year, they still know that there is more work they can do to improve.

“Last year we won two games; this year we’re going to win a lot more,” Kohler said.