Early victories for men’s soccer team kickstart optimistic season

With the score tied at halftime 0-0, freshman John Massaquoi eyes the soccer ball in possession of one of Chaffey’s defenders. As he intercepts a pass and steals the ball, Massaquoi beats the goalkeeper and has a free shot, scoring the first goal of the game.

Last Friday, the Warriors went to Chaffey College and won 2-1. Both goals were scored by Massaquoi, who ended up breaking a tied score of 0-0 during the second half, and was unassisted in his first goal. His second goal was an 18-foot shot behind the goal assisted by a midfielder.

Massaquoi’s teammates are impressed with his performance thusfar.

“He is an excellent soccer player; he knows what he is doing out in the field,” midfielder Jose Ramirez said. “He is only a freshman, too. It is surprising to see how well he has adapted to this team.”

The men’s soccer team will be heading back home for a four-game home stand. Next stop for the Warriors will be at Murdock Stadium at 4 p.m. against College of the Desert.

Coach Vic Cafarchia is confident that they will win the conference title this season, though the games will be difficult.

“Friday’s game against College of the Desert will be a tough game,” Cafarchia said.

“We have come to a conclusion that every game this season will be a tough game.”

Following the Chaffey game, the Warriors will be going up against L.A. Mission College on Monday. Tuesday, the Warriors will be going up against Fullerton College.

“We are hoping to come out this weekend with seven games won and only one loss,” Cafarchia said.

The Warriors’ record so far is four wins and one loss. The only loss came in the hands of Moorpark College, a non-conference team.

The Warriors have yet to play a conference game this season.

“We defensively fell short in the second half of the game,” former coach John Britton said. “We had the game won; we just made mental mistakes throughout the game, especially in the second half. We know we are better than that.”

The Warriors beat College of the Canyons in their season opener, and also beat Glendale College and San Bernardino Valley College.

“After seeing what the team did on the season opener, we knew that this team would be capable of doing big things this season,” Cafarchia said. “We were kind of surprised at what they have done so far this season. We did not think they would come running out the gate so fast.”

The Warriors’ 4-1 record has been one of the best starts since three years ago. The Warriors are showing that they have the potential to do well this season.

“The team is doing great, especially our defense. They are showing how great they can be this season,” Cafarchia said. “I believe that the bench is equally as good as the rest of the team out in the field.”

The Warriors played yesterday at Oxnard College; however, scores were unavailable upon press deadline.