Baseball team rewards its most valuable player of the year

Making plays when the team needed them the most allowed Tino Gomez to excell all year is what made the left fielder this years’ most valuable player for ECs’ baseball team.

Gomez had great accomplishments this year like leading the team in RBI’s, triples and stolen bases.

His drive and dedication has been a lesson he says he learned during his previous years of playing baseball.

“I have been playing my whole life, since I came out of my mother’s womb,” Gomez said.

This season, Gomez made important plays in the batters box and in the outfield, making him a key asset to this team’s success.

“He definitely has helped the team accomplish pretty big things this year,” coach Tom Bergeron said.

After graduating from El Segundo High School, Gomez decided to attend EC.

Working his way up through the ranks within the team, Gomez managed to become one of this years’ team captains.

“He’s had the same approach every year since I’ve been playing with him,” pitcher Charles Boyden said. “To go out there and get the job done.”

Aside from the great performances with which he earned the MVP award, Gomez is pleased with the physical developments and improvments he has experienced this year.

“I’ve gained mass and became stronger; my batting has improved a lot in the past two years,” Gomez said.

With a team full of skilled and talented players, Bergeron said that the only thing the team needed was a spark, and in Gomez the team found its spark.

The combination of his high batting average and high team production, Bergeron believed Gomez was very well deserving of this years MVP award.

“He was our most consistent batter, our biggest run producer and we could always count on him to get on base,” pitcher Richard Navarrete said.

Many of his teammates believe that Gomez carried the team with the comfort and confidence he showed to get things done on the field.

“Gomez is capable of playing for a division one team,” Bergeron said. “He has a great attitude and definitely the skills.”

The abundant amount of universities, both from California and out of state, looking at Gomez as a possible recruit is no surprise for Bergeron.

“He definitely has the potential,” Bergeron said. “That’s why a lot of schools are looking at him.”

Everything Gomez has learned since his freshmen year he attributes to his coaches.

The team’s MVP believes it was his coaches great abilities that helped him become a better baseball player.

Yet, Gomez is looking beyond the field and has plans to move on to a university after finishing at EC.

Transferring to a university within the state is definitely Gomez’s first option however, if an out of state university is interested in him, he will not overlook that option.

“I want to attend a school where I can be closer to home and my family,” Gomez said.

With his father attending nearly every home and away game, Gomez does not want to lose the support he feels when his father is present.

“It really inspires me when my dad is at the games,” Gomez said.

Still, with all the time and dedication Gomez puts into playing baseball, he maintains his priorities in order and manages not to get distracted.

“My education will always come first,” Gomez said. “My high hopes of playing baseball comes second.”