Baseball looking to finish as winners

With the score tied at five in the top of the ninth inning, Billy Hernandez faced a two-strike, two-ball, one-out count with a runner on second base.

Hostility filled the air as the EC crowd cheered for a hit, while the Long Beach fans roared for a strikeout.

As the pitch was delivered, the crowd grew silent.

“He hung a slider and I was able to get enough of it,” designated hitter Hernandez said.

Hernandez ripped the ball for a double into the gap in left-center allowing centerfielder Chris Fox to score the go-ahead run. Hernandez finished the game two for five with a single, a double, an RBI and a run. Fox also finished the game two for five with two singles and a pair of runs.

“We started off hitting the ball well and our defense played great,” Hernandez said. “We went into a slump and got out of El Camino baseball.”

“We needed that win after losing those games in a row. It’s good to win ball games and show that we can beat a decent team like Long Beach,” coach Tom Bergeron said.

With the postseason out of reach, the team looks to finish strong when it plays its final two regular season games against Compton College today and tomorrow at 2:30 p.m.

Both confrontations will be played on Warrior field since the Tartars lack a baseball field. However, the Tartars will be treated as the home team in Friday’s match-up.

“It’s important for these guys to end on a winning note; we’re baseball players and we want to win games,” Bergeron said. “These games are so tight that home field advantage doesn’t seem to matter to us.”

In most sports, home field advantage means a lot, but for the Warriors’ baseball team it doesn’t mean a thing; they have lost its last four home stands establishing a losing conference record of 4-7 at home.

In Tuesday’s game against Long Beach, the Warriors blew a 5-3 lead heading into the bottom half of the sixth inning when their pitching began to struggle.

Starting pitcher Jeff McKinley received a no decision after pitching five innings; he allowed three runs on six hits and was pulled out after hitting a batter.

The Vikings then tied the game when pitchers Shawn Fendley and Craig Ganser combined for two runs on three hits in one inning of play.

After a rough sixth inning, the Warrior pitchers settled down; pitcher Charles Boyden came in relief in the seventh inning and delivered a nearly flawless three-inning performance putting an end to the Vikings momentum.

“The other team got some crucial hits,” Boyden said. “I came in and did what I was asked to do.”

Boyden threw 31 pitches, 15 strikes and seven balls and only allowed one hit earning the victory.

“He got the outs for us, and was able to get his breaking ball over the plate,” Bergeron said. “I’m happy that he got the win.”

Other main contributors to the Warriors offense were right fielder George Brunson and second baseman Steven De La Torre. Brunson had a big day, batting two for four with three RBI’s. De La Torre, on the other hand, went two for three and was awarded an RBI when he was hit by the pitch with the bases loaded.

Before Tuesday’s late rally, the Warriors lost two straight games at home. They were defeated on Thursday by L.A. Harbor 4-3 and on Saturday to Long Beach 6-3, which ultimately eliminated them from any playoff birth.

“We’re still fighting for the young guys since a lot of them are coming back,” Hernandez said. “It’s important for them to go out as a winner so that they can keep it rolling next year.”

Conference Standings

East Los Angeles: 18-4, 26-10

Mt. San Antonio: 18-4, 25-11

Cerritos College: 16-6, 21-14

Los Angeles Harbor: 14-8, 20-16

Long Beach City: 13-9, 20-16

El Camino College: 11-11, 17-16

Pasadena City: 5-19, 6-30

Compton College: 4-18, 4-29

Los Angeles City: 1-21, 1-28

Box Scores

Team R H E
El Camino 6 13 2
Long Beach 5 10 5

Player AB R H RBI
Gomez 5 0 1 0
Cauley 5 0 1 0
Fox 5 2 2 0
Hernandez 5 1 2 1
Juarez 3 1 1 0
Nunn 4 1 0 0
Braunecker 4 1 2 1
De La Torre 3 1 2 1
Brunson 4 0 2 3

Pitchers
McKinley 5 IP, 3 runs, 6H, 0K
Fendley 1/3 IP, 1 runs, 2H, 0K
Ganser 2/3 IP, 1 run, 1H, 0K
Boyden 3 IP, 0 runs, 1H, 0K