Filed under Opinion, Up for Debate

Up for Debate: Snapchat is alive and well

The past couple of months have been really rough on Snapchat with the community backlash received after the company updated its app’s redesign, which has hit the company hard.

Thanks to celebrities like Kylie Jenner and Rihanna bashing the app as well, Snapchat has lost millions of dollars in revenue and seems to be falling on the stock market.

But better days are ahead.

According to a report by DMR, there are 301 million monthly active users on Snapchat (last updates 2016), with 187 million active users daily (2018).

Add in the fact that Snap Inc.’s is worth upwards of $25 billion dollars and it’s easier to see that Snapchat is here to stay.

Snapchat may have made some mistakes in the past with uncensored ads and unnecessary changes, but that doesn’t mean they still don’t have an audience.

Full service brokerage and investing firm Stifel’s social media usage tracker indicates Snapchat’s audience reach dropped by only about 0.1 percent in February and lost on 90 thousand of its 187 million daily active users, according to an article by U.S. News.

Thanks to its uber-popularity and easy-to-use format, Snapchat will always be growing in users, who will fill in for the few people who turned their backs on the application completely.

Talk about its bumps and blemishes all you want, but you will still be using Snapchat regardless, who will be laughing all the way to the bank.

About the Writer
Samuel Hill, Senior Staff Writer

Samuel Hill is in his fourth semester at El Camino College and in his second semester at The Union newspaper. He enjoys writing about sports and hard news...