Exploitation at its finest; the NCAA needs to offer more for student athletes

College sports are just another pass time for fans to enjoy when they aren’t watching professional sports, especially in the case of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) football and basketball.

But, unlike the professional counterparts, the players in the NCAA are exploited heavily and treated unfairly.

It’s known by college sports fans all over the country that the NCAA March Madness Tournament and NCAA football bowl games are the biggest college sporting events to watch or attend. According to the NCAA.org website, there is more than $2.7 billion of scholarships awarded every year.

Now the problem is that these players are exposed to the entire country and are treated like superstars, but they don’t get paid like they are; they’re not allowed to accept donations, get pay from agents and are exploited at every turn.

Now according to this list of highest paid NCAA basketball coaches from celebritynetworth.com, Duke’s head coach Mike Krzyzewski makes $9.7 million, while the University of Louisville’s Rick Pitino makes $5.8 million and the University of Kentucky’s head coach John Calipari makes $5.5 million.

Just from three coaches, there is more than $20 million of payment, yet the student athletes pouring their hard work and talent for said coach are going unpaid.

Of course, by the guidelines, schools are not allowed to pay a student to go to its university and play; it can only extend scholarship offer. The richer schools would obviously have the best teams if colleges were allowed to buy their players.

So here’s the solution in a system that’s so unfair for student athletes, let them get paid by sponsors that want them.

Although some players may get more hype, sponsors and exposure than others; it’s something they’ll eventually get used to.

NCAA players are exploited and treated unfairly, it’s time to give them something else to gain other than a “legacy at a big-name school.”