Do you think RateMyProfessors.com is helpful? No.

Teachers have the most difficult job in society. They are the educators and shapers of the youth as well as role models. They are nurturers of minds and are held to the highest of standards.

Sites like RateMyProfessors.com  provide accuracy in terms of exemplifying the character of some teachers, but they also allow for students to defame professors that could be excellent at their jobs. It is an unfair, disrespectful way to rate people who devote their lives to helping students.

Sites like these do a great job of properly helping students find the best instructor for them as well as pointing out potential, but on too many occasions the comments are distasteful and degrading.

Any site that includes a “hotness” rating is not to be taken seriously.

Sites like the Princeton Review are respected and have the credentials to match, but RateMyProfessors.com is a biased mess with no scientific sentiment behind it.

Any user can post an angry review on this website that could tarnish a teacher’s reputation and prevent students from taking classes that teacher offers, but there’s no guarantee that the review is accurate.

Teachers shouldn’t have to face criticism like this in such a difficult and thankless profession.

Sites like this can discourage students from taking a professor’s class who might actually challenge them and help them grow. Students can spread malicious rumors about professors and could ruin that professor’s good name.

It’s true when people say words hurt, but it hurts even worse when the credibility of a hard working, dedicated teacher is called into question by juvenile, baseless comments written by a spineless, bitter person behind a desk somewhere.