Are strip searches acceptable in any arrest? Yes

Allowing officials to legally strip search an individual for a minor offense before being admitted to prison may be one step closer to safety.

While being arrested, an individual may be searched briefly to the point where visible items such as weapons and drugs are confiscated. While a strip search may be considered a degrading intrusion on those who are being arrested, the searches assure the safety of police.

During an arrest, an individual may have some of their rights stripped away. However, that individual could be smuggling weapons or other illegal substances into jails, and a strip search would prevent that possibility.

Strip searching inmates prevents assaults on both officials and fellow inmates.

In an article by theacru.org, “Over 13 million people are processed through jails every year in America. There are 10,000 inmate assaults on jail staff each year.”

With 10,000 inmate assaults on officials, the probability of an inmate having a weapon should not be ignored.

Perhaps not all of the inmate assaults involved the use of weapons. However, strip searching for weapons rules out that possibility from the beginning.

According to an article on heinonline.org, “Courts have long recognized the need for police to search an arrested person as a protective measure, both to save the officer from harm and to recover incriminating evidence before it is dis