Campus Corner: Architecture Club

Mike Stallings is the faculty adviser of the Architecture Club. The club meets Thursdays at 1 p.m. in Room 253 of the Technical Arts Building.

What is Architecture Club?

The architecture club is a group of 159 students who are in the club and that want to find out more about the environment we live in so we take that on many levels. We travel and visit the many architectural landmarks. We also usually go to a university near that landmark because most students are thinking about transferring to a university in an architectural program.

Who can join?

Any student can join the club. You just have to be an El Camino College student. So we’re always out there on club rush.

Why should students join?

I feel that it’s important for them to go and see these university campuses and their programs because every school at a university level has a philosophy behind how they teach architecture. I tell my students that they need to go and see which environment or schools they feel they’ll feel fit in best with. There are 200 schools in the United States, but I try to show them the ones around California, even though we visited the Arizona schools at the beginning of December.

What is the club working on?

We’re working on a totally green sustainable building. We’re going to build that out in the construction yard. It’ll be like a library but used as lecture hall as well.

What plans does the club have this semester?

We’re planning to go to San Diego at the end of the semester. There are two schools of architecture down there. There are also some new green and sustainable buildings down there that I want to take the students to see.