Social media blow up about Kony 2012 is a waste of time

With a simple click of a video link and the use of social networks, outrage has been widespread all over the nation over Kony 2012. Over 80 million people have watched the 27 minute documentary on the mistreatment of thousands of children in Uganda.
This had lead to “Stop Kony 2012” being splattered all over everyone’s social network timelines. While everyone is screaming to stop Kony, I’m wondering about the legitimacy of the campaign as well as hoping the U.S. decides to go against interfering with the unfortunate situations being placed upon those children.
Situations like this bring out a random since of unity amongst many people in the U.S. As stated, you seen a vast majority of people on board with stopping Kony. “Stop Kony! Those innocent kids don’t deserve to be treated that way!” Re-read that and tell me why I don’t see us unite like that with issues within our own country?
That is my biggest gripe with this sudden unity of people. Everyone has came together in order to fight a cause that doesn’t affect the way they live their lives. I don’t want that statement to sound mean or selfish by any means but, why can’t we unite like this when we hear about the increasing rates of poverty in our country?
What’s stopping us from exercising that same energy into helping the homeless? Why do we tend to ignore or look down on the homeless? They are people in need just like the children in Uganda. We don’t even take the time to hear their story.
We just assume that they were responsible for every bad turn in their life. Meanwhile, a documentary in made and we immediately believe that we are told without question any legitimacy.
This situation isn’t any of the United States’ business. We shouldn’t be organizing plans to invade another country in order to stop something that’s been going on for over 20 years. The US needs to mind its’ business and take care of home before concentrating on other countries. When we don’t it usually leads to conflict and at times war.
Reports of Kony 2012 being a scam have came out, yet we choose to ignore them and trust a video that’s the average length of a TV show. For some it’s truly for a cause and for others, it’s simply to become a “activist” and become apart of something just to say you contributed.
Just be honest with yourself and if you sincerely belief in a cause, learn about it, organize a plan, and really go out and make a difference. Re-tweeting others doesn’t make an impact. But before you do so, please assert the same energy, if not more, into helping our own country.
You can’t help someone else build their home, when you don’t have your own to sleep in. Some nationwide cynicism may do more good than bad and in turn, lead to us properly helping other countries.