Campus Corner: Music Club

Diane Lee is the president of the Society of Music Club. The club meets every other Tuesday from 1 to 2 p.m. in Room 125 of the Music Building. 

How did you get involved in the club?

I was recruited my second semester as the secretary and I stopped after a semester to focus on my studies.

What activities does the club participate in?

We do three main things as a club. First, we out reach out to the community. So we play for communities and we’ll play at schools. Basically we increase awareness of our music program. Second, we try to do campus stuff; we’ll hang out, get to know each other better as a music department. And third, when our classes are getting cut, we advocate. We go to the board of trustees meetings and try to get involved in the politics of what’s going on.

What kind of fundraisers does the club do?

Our biggest fundraiser is every semester we’ll have a student recital and this is everybody’s chance to get out and perform. Come out of the closet and take out the guitar and show what you’ve got. It will be in May, mostly likely on May 18th in the Haag Recital Hall and we’ll have a different variety of
music.

When was the club started?

It was a few years ago, the administration was threatening to close down our Music Library, which is the core of our music department. A couple of people rallied and built the club in order to save the Music Library.

What is your goal as president?

I would like to see this club reach a new height. Not just in the school, but in the community. Music has such a low influence level right now like it’s not anywhere near it should be.