Fantasy football leagues are more than just a game

We’ve come a long way from bookies in the basement of a dingy downtown restaurant.

Fantasy sports are the new sports betting, and as an industry that grosses roughly $1 billion a year, it’s not going anywhere.

Research conducted for the Fantasy Sports Trade Association (FSTA) showed that the number of fantasy sports players in the United States has increased 60 percent since 2007.

That means a whopping 32 million people are playing fantasy sports.

It’s not hard to see why it’s so popular when you consider how inexpensive it is and how crazy people can be about the teams and sports they love.

For some, watching sports like football, is a passive and enjoyable time. For others being part of the sport is even better.

Why simply watch the game when you could be a part of it by playing fantasy football?

The biggest appeal of fantasy sports has to be the bragging rights and being able to draft your own team with the players you think are number one.

What could be better than making what you think is the best sports team and watching them destroy your friends and teammates?

Fantasy sports has grown into more than just head-to-head teams and picking the winners based on a point spread.

There are cheat sheets, fantasy draft kits and auction guides.

Believe it or not, people will pay for help when it comes to drafting their fantasy teams.

Fantasy sports weren’t always legal, though. In the ‘90s, lobbyists worked to prove that fantasy sports were a game of skill and that they should be exempt from gambling legislation.

Now however,  it is an accepted game that millions enjoy.

According to the FSTA, “College educated, full-time employees are more likely to take part in fantasy sports than their less educated and lesser employed counterparts in both the United States and Canada.”

That means 18 percent of college educated people are playing fantasy sports, so people better be prepared for some stiff competition in that fantasy football league.

Though men are dominating the industry now, more women are joining fantasy and pick’em leagues every day.

Research said it’s because of our boyfriends and husbands, or wanting to learn the lingo, but I think it’s safe to say we’re just simply fans.

It’s a game that anyone and everyone can join.

So, next Sunday when you’re out watching the game, just take a look around at all the people sporting their favorite team’s jersey.

If you’re not one of the lucky people playing in a fantasy league, it’s safe to bet that the majority of people watching with you aren’t just cheering for the team they love. They’ll constantly be clicking refresh on their phones, updating their scores, hoping their fantasy team will score just one more point for them to take the lead.