Judging people by the ink on their skin is wrong

Tattoos are present and here to leave their permanent mark, literally.  Society once imagined tattoos to only be found on criminals, sailors and bikers, but we are now seeing that tattoos are a part of our current culture. 

But accepting of tattoos is what seems to be the problem. We as human beings cannot help but to judge when we first see or meet someone, whether we like to admit  that or not. 

There are many negative connotations towards tattoos, and a tattooed person is often portrayed as being “dangerous” or “living on the edge.” There are people who actually are a threat to society and don’t have a single tattoo.

Let us open up our minds and keep up with the times and fast changing society. Today people express themselves differently than they did in previous generations, and that is what makes our generation unique. It does not mean that because a person is tattooed they are less than you or lack respect. 

In the work force we should not have to wear long sleeves when it is blazing hot just because showing tattoos may appear to be unprofessional, but in reality they might be the most professional in the company.  We have the right to express ourselves in a positive matter, and if your tattoo is not insulting or degrading then what is the big deal?

There are people who are looked up to because of their professional appearance, but would your opinion on them change if you knew they had tattoos under their white collared shirts?

If a respectable doctor were to save your life, would you feel differently knowing that he had hours of tattoo work on his skin?

Tattoos can carry deep meaning to someone and every individual has their own motivations behind getting a tattoo, whether it is a memorial piece, a part of their history, a religious piece or a personal experience that one has encountered. Some just may appreciate art and want that to be a representation of who they are.

Since when is art not respected? If some choose to represent a piece of art on their skin permanently, so be it. 

Who are we to judge how one is to express themselves? By denying someone of a job who is perfectly qualified but has tattoos is unjust. A qualified candidate should be able to get a job, just as a person without tattoos can. Having tattoos does not give you a lack of intelligence; it is just entitling you to your rights of expression.

We need to accept the fact that people who are inked are still the same person and we should not treat them differently in the work force. We are living in a time where people are more expressive to who they are.

Some may feel being a tattoo artist is not a respectable career.  But in reality, it is a tough job and it is not something anybody can do. It takes a tremendous amount of talent and dedication. 

Tattoos are now a part of our culture. We see it in the media everyday. Some celebrities have them, but are still praised and held up as role models. Do we have to be famous in order to be respected by the majority? 

Society has been opening up slowly to seeing tattoos as a norm. Let’s begin to change that instant judgment people make when seeing others who are inked. Let’s change the negative stereotype that tattooed people receive. They are mothers, fathers, daughters, and sons just like you are, and most of the time live a completely normal lifestyle. 

So why do some people get so bent out of shape when they see someone with tattoos? Get to know the person before you make your judgments. Relax. It’s just ink.