History behind high concept holiday that is Four-twenty

There are many who will wake up this morning, brush their teeth then drink their morning java while rushing to the office without a care in the world. But for others all across the world, National Pot Smokers Day, coined “4-20”, is one of the only days where marijuana smokers can come together with their all buds.

The term “4-20” has become synonymous with the term “stoner” among the pot smoking world. But this nickname didn’t just come about based on the month and date it falls on.

Some say that this herbal acronym originated way back when by “the boys in blue”. It has been rumored that “4-20” was the police dispatch code for a drug deal. When in reality it refers to “”preventing or obstructing entry upon or passage upon public lands,” reports High Times.

According to The Huffington Post, the expression “4-20” started back in 1971 with five San Rafael High School comrades, the Waldos. It is said that they created the expression “4-20 Louie,” as a clever reminder to the group to meet for an afterschool toke at 4:20 p.m. at the Louis Pasteur statue. The “Louie” was later dropped.

Some say “420”, can mean whatever you want it to when you think about it, regardless of which rendition one chooses to believe. They see “420” as a symbol for happiness, unity and brotherhood.

I myself, choose to see everyday as a day to celebrate, “420” or not because life is life too short to just focus one’s energy on just one day.