Campus Forum

Damien McDowell is the Chairman of the EC Republicans.

How long have the EC Republicans been on campus and when are meetings?

This April will be our first year anniversary and maybe we’ll go to the California College Republicans Convention. We have meetings every first and third Thursday from 1 to 2 p.m. in the Technical Arts Building, Room 154.

What is the Calif. College Republicans Convention?

It’s a convention for all college Republicans. We have meetings, see what other colleges do, and trade ideas. This year it will be in Los Angeles.

What is the purpose of the EC Republicans?

It’s to help all Republican candidates get elected into all forms of government, whether it is local, state, or federal office. We also want to spread conservative values throughout campus.

Why did you decide to form this club?

I saw what the College Republicans were doing on YouTube and I thought it was fun and also important. Since EC is more liberal, I wanted to have a place where fellow Republicans can speak their minds and share opinions.

What do you do as the chairman for the EC Republicans?

I organize special events on campus and bring guest speakers to campus. I also organize meetings and campaigns and lead the club into spreading conservative values to other students.

What do you do at meetings?

We talk about current events, like right now we are talking about the health care bill. We are also volunteering for Pete Kesterson’s campaign. We also talk about upcoming events on campus and the statewide College Republicans.

How many members are in the EC Republicans?

Well, on our mailing list we have about 40 members, but 10 students who attend our meetings on campus.

What kind of events does your club have on campus?

We usually have events which have to do with campaigning or something that is controversial yet states our beliefs as Republicans. We held a contest called “What’s in a Democrat?” where we had members hit a donkey shaped pinata.