Farewell Union, it’s time to move on

If I can describe my time on the Union, it would be as Cyndi Lauper says in her classic song “Time After Time;” it’s a suitcase full of memories.
A year and a half ago I could never have pictured myself being editor-in-chief of this award winning publication. I would like to believe I was as good a leader as I could be. But now I can’t picture where I go from here.
Not having to come into production days and have my editors (actually my friends) come up to me and ask me to help them make a headline or write a caption is something I will miss.
I have been thinking about what to say in this column for the last few weeks because I knew this day was going to come and while part of me is relieved for the end of the semester, I also find it bittersweet since I won’t be here in the same capacity next semester.
During my time here it was like being part of a long-running television series. I’ve seen people come and I’ve seen people go. I’ve made plenty of friends and grown close to people who I may never have necessarily gotten to know.
Sure, there was its share of drama, action, suspense and a few office romances. I’ve seen blow-ups, shake-ups and just about anything that could possibly happen in a newsroom setting. But if I had to do it all over again, I would do it again in a heartbeat, with no hesitation. Somewhere within all the drama we found time to have fun from bonding at “company” parties to random music sing-alongs in the newsroom.
The newsroom creates a family atmosphere and a lot of that lies with the people I work with. I can’t picture this semester being what it was if it wasn’t for the team I worked with, so I must say thank you to Alex, Maria, Roxy, Danielle, Haipha, Yvonne, Brooke, Heather, Tony and the rest of the staff because they are what kept me pushing and kept me sane during the semester.
They are what made my job as editor-in-chief worth all the blood, sweat and tears that comes with this job. I have never lost that loving feeling being part of this staff.
So what is left for me to say? I may not be part of the newspaper anymore, but next semester I get to be Web editor, a whole new adventure and entity for me to try to put to task. I liken it to getting my own spin-off, like if the Union is Grey’s Anatomy, being Web editor is my “Private Practice.”
I once read somewhere it’s better to burn out then fade away, so to all the devoted readers, gawkers, faculty and Union staff this isn’t goodbye, I could even still, show up as a “special-guest star” next semester. Let’s just say until next time.