Wider food selection is needed here

The quality of most of the food offered on campus can easily be compared to the food offered at McDonald’s, meaning the selection of the food we are getting is unhealthy.
In some food stores on campus, like the Munchies, one can find greasy burritos, french toast sandwiches and doughnuts available for students rushing to get to class and have to set a last minute breakfast.
There are other, healthier food options such as the apples and bananas located above the chocolate and blueberry muffins, however.
It’s too bad that the healthier food options are, for most people, way above eye level and therefore may go unnoticed by most students.
It’s easy to see why most students gain 10 to 15 pounds during their first year of college, also known as the freshman 15.
It’s easy for students to put working out to the side because of homework and studying, but the college could help by offering healthier choices and putting these choices where students can see them.
It would benefit students on campus if the college could offer more fruits, vegetables and yogurts in their fridges.
Frappacinos, Vitamin Water and other drinks are offered in cooled, refrigerated compartments and are easy accessible to students of all heights.
The same should be done for fruits and vegetables where bananas, apples, pears, broccoli, celery and other produce can be showcased as students enter the food store. If these healthier foods are offered and one can walk into the store and immediately see this produce, students will be more apt to eat these healthier choices.
Not only will offering more nutrient-dense foods benefit students’ weight, but it will benefit their well-being as well.
Candy bars and coffee give students the energy boost they need to get through their next class, but it doesn’t keep them alert and focused for the entire day.
Eating a healthy, balanced diet will help students concentrate better in class, retain information and perform better on tests.
Items like candy bars and other foods high in sugar, fat and carbohydrates should only take up about a third of store.The other two thirds of the store should be stocked with healthy snacks and fruits and vegetables. And while some students might be disappointed if this semi-dramatic change was made, most would be thankful that they have healthier choices to pick from.