Is race a factor on how President Obama’s agenda is being treated? Yes

It is disappointing to see the way race is overpowering the more important issues and concerns this society should be focusing on. Race shouldn’t play a role on how our president’s agenda is being treated but unfortunately does.
President Obama was criticized for the speech he gave on education for example. Some lawmakers encouraged parents to not let their children hear the speech.
According to an article by koco.com, Sen. Steve Russell of Oklahoma City said the president is usurping the rights of the parents and local school districts by talking directly to students.
Regardless of party affiliation, any parent should be grateful that the president is trying to reach out to students by encouraging them to “work hard, set educational goals and take responsibility for their learning.”
Why should parents be worried about the president of the U.S. speaking about education to them? How is that partisan politics? Unfortunately there are people in this country who simply do not trust the president due to the color of his skin.
It’s not like this is the first time a president has tried speaking to students. Former presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush, Sr. made similar speeches. In an article by newsblaze.com, it says Bush laid out goals to increase graduation rate, improve student competency and better prepare students for entering school.
Were these same people as mad when Bush and Reagan gave their speeches? My guess would be no.
The other hot button topic has been the now infamous “You lie!” statement made by Rep. Joe Wilson during Obama’s speech about healthcare. According to an AP article, Former President Jimmy Carter claimed that what Wilson said was “based on racism.”
Carter added, “.and no matter who he is or how much we disagree with his policies, the president should be treated with respect.” These are the little issues that constantly arise and get in the way of what we should truly be focusing on.
Race is not only a factor on how the president’s agenda is being treated but also factoring into the information being given to us. Democrats saw a huge opportunity with Wilson’s outburst and decided to take advantage of it, approving a resolution of disapproval according to an AP article.
Race should never be a factor, but unfortunately it is. Instead of questioning President Obama about leaving out specifics during his speech, people must pay attention on how everyone is taking a shot at Wilson.
There’s already a shortage of nursing and medical schools, so where will these nurses and doctors come from to provide healthcare? What does having a public option mean, and should we include it or not. Will illegal immigrants be insured under the plan? These issues among many others are what we should be focusing on, not on race.
If you are looking to criticize the president, bring up issues of that matter, not race. We all need to learn more about his agenda and his plans instead of predetermining it as some sort of shift to socialism.
It is something we all need to work on, not just certain parties, certain races or people. These decisions affect everyone, including you. So never judge a book by its cover, open it up and read as much as you can.