YES: Stem cell research is hope for a life worth living

With medical conditions like Alzheimer’s, diabetes, cancer and neurological disorders plaguing the population, stem cell research provides hope for finding cures.

Embryonic stem cells are at the center of the stem cell research debate. When an embryo is used for its stem cells, it is destroyed in the process.

Destroying an embryo in the process of research is disturbing to some who believe that life begins at conception. However, unused embryos often are destroyed with the consent of the individuals who will not carry on with the implantation process.

These unused embryos can help researchers develop treatments for otherwise untreatable diseases and potentially save lives.

The embryos used in stem cell research were not created for this purpose. They are excess embryos from fertility treatments and will not be used to create a life. These embryos will not be implanted into a womb, a child will not be born. These unused embryos will either sit indefinitely in an unchanged state or they will be destroyed. If it is decided that the embryos will be destroyed, it makes sense to use these for research purposes.

Embryos are not the only source of stem cells. Stem cells can be found in adults and in umbilical cord blood. These sources are viable alternatives to using embryonic stem cells for research.

However, this material is limited.

There are time constraints involved in getting umbilical cord blood and getting stem cells from adults can be a long and a painful process.

These types of stem cells are already being used in transplants for some patients with diseases such as leukemia and lymphoma. If more research is done, stem cells have the potential to treat conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, spinal cord injuries and others.

The ethical treatment of embryos must be considered. Obviously, there are some concerns with stem cell research. However, this new information could be the difference between life and death for millions of people.

Instead of trying to prevent stem cell research, the focus needs be on how to put standards and regulations in place to prevent abuse.

All parties directly involved should be well informed of the risks and be required to willingly give their consent.

Stem cell research is not about ending a life, but instead it is about healing and the quality of life.