Anti-abortion groups finds tasteless way to make point

After a long hour of class, the first thing many students saw as they stepped out of the music departmen was neither the bright sunshine nor the squirrels chasing each other: It was an oversized picture of a dead fetus.

The display was obviously to convince students that abortion was wrong.

Now, these groups are legally allowed to promote whatever they wish to promote, but what they do not seem to understand is that showing a several-feet-tall picture of a dead, dismembered fetus, or baby, whichever one may prefer to call it, is not the most effective way to convince students that abortion is inhumane.

Not only were many students disturbed by the shocking image, they were angered that the anti-abortion group would actually go far enough to present such a disgusting picture.

Some were even saying that they lost their appetite, while some sadly admitted that the picture ruined their good mood.

When did this group gain its right to ruin a students’ day?

If the anti-abortion advocates wanted to use such photographs, by all means, they should try to make alternative ways to present them.

A pamphlet or a DVD disk with a Powerpoint presentation would be better alternatives that would not offend the pass-by students that are not interested in the cause. Or even a sheet of paper covering the picture, with a warning like, “If you want to know what abortion does to a baby, flip this paper” would work better.

Because humans remember things better visually, shocking pictures do make a good promotion, for whatever the cause.

However, at a place that has such diversity in ethnicity, religion and beliefs as EC, there should be a different approach to persuading people.

Promote the cause with more respect for the audience; doing so, more people would be willing to listen and be more open minded about what the group is trying to present.

Let those interested get involved, and let those who aren’t eat their lunch.