Union Comment: Registering to vote is easy, especially for college students

If you plan on voting Nov. 2, you need to register to vote by Oct. 18 in order for the paperwork to snail through the state bureaucracy in time.

Don’t bother registering to vote unless you will be 18 years old and a U.S. citizen on election day. Don’t feel second class if you aren’t able to vote though; many states have stringent voting guidelines; even Florida.

For those who want to register to vote but don’t know where to go, they can try a local library (yes they still exist), post office or any other government facility to pick up a voter registration form to mail in. There are even people kind enough to walk around or set up shop on campus to help others register.

The best way to register is through rockthevote.com, where visitors can learn about issues, voting guidelines for their state, and most importantly, register to vote. The non-profit non-partisan organization’s website also allows visitors to modify their voter information and learn how anybody can help “rock the vote.”

If it isn’t easy enough to register to vote, 7-Eleven is partnering with Sunkist Orange Soda and 7 UP to provide voter registration forms at its franchises, as well as discounted soda and Super Big Gulps.

“As the leading convenience store brand, it’s not hard to find one of our stores in neighborhoods across the country, participating in Rock the Vote it’s a great way for us to reach out to the 18-22-year-old segment, as well as make voter registration easy and convenient for them,” Doug Foster of 7-Eleven said in a press release.

The 7-Eleven located near EC at on Manhattan Beach Boulevard and Prairie Avenue is participating in the initiative along with thousands of other franchises across the country. Registering to vote hasn’t been easier; now E.C. students may register to vote while they pick up their beer and cigarettes, all in one stop.

Once registered, there are two more important steps for Americans to take before they vote. These include voters educating themselves about the issues in order to cast an educated vote, while the final step is to actually set aside time on Nov. 2 to vote.

The best places to figure out where a candidate stands on the issues is to check out propaganda websites, although finding out where John Kerry stands on anything might take a little more work. The three upcoming presidential debates should also be informative and will be on prime time television tonight, Oct. 8 and Oct. 13.

If people are able to set aside enough time to go to the movies, then they should be to set aside time to help determine the future of their state and country.

As good Americans, we should at the very least exercise one of the most important rights we have. Even if it means voting for Ralph Nader.