Music Exchange Club to host “ELCOachella”

With spring break underway many have taken off and readied themselves for vacations.

This weekend marks the dates that have been highlighted on calendars across the country for the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, more commonly referred to as Coachella. While some are lucky to have grabbed a ticket early enough while they were still available, the majority of students were not.

For those with no Coachella tickets or plans, EC’s very own Music Exchange Club offers a solution by organizing and hosting their very own music festival: ELCOachella.

“It’s just a show to play for fun,” Chris Pigao, co-founder of the Music Exchange Club and member of one of the bands on the line-up said.

ELCOachella is channeling the very founding principle the Music Exchange Club was established on: bringing EC students together through a mutual love for music.

“All of the bands playing were founded by members of the club,” Pigao said.

Performances will be made by local bands such as Tartar ControlPure of HeartQuick DrawDirty Rebels and The Tots. All of the other bands are those belonging to members of EC’s Music Exchange Club except The Tots, a band Orange County.

Pigao says the genres of music being played vary from alternative rock with Piago’s own band, Quick Draw and metalcore with the Pure of Heart; thrash metal with The Tots.

According to the event’s Facebook page, while admission is free of charge for anyone wishing to attend, donations for the bands will be accepted. This event is also a potluck, so any wishing to attend are encouraged to bring some sort of food or beverage for the all attendees.

The Music Exchange Club was founded last spring semester by EC students Chris Pigao and Elias Gonzales, as a club that connects through music. Pigao and Gonzales created the club as a means for introducing and sharing their love of music with other EC students, while also being introduced to new music themselves.

The Music Exchange Club meets Tuesday at 1 p.m. in the Arts and Behavioral Science building in room 348B.

Piago says ELCOachella is being taking place at 12117 Cedar Ave. Hawthorne, CA 90250.