STEPS might be the answer to saying goodbye to placement tests

English and math placement tests might turn into a thing of the past if EC joins the Student Transcript Enhanced Placement Study (STEPS).

After Oct. 1, STEPS conducted by The Research and Planning Group for California Community Colleges, may determine whether or not a student may be placed into courses based on their high school transcripts and placement test scores.

This may not be fair to a new or returning student whose transcripts will not be valid due to the amount of time they were out of high school or in any school.

Some students are returning  to college after a two-year or more hiatus, whose transcripts show they had an outstanding GPA, but they must take the placement tests to see where they place in terms of math and English.

EC offers the Basic Accelerated Math (BAM) course, which was created to help students develop their mathematical skills before enrolling into intermediate algebra.

The BAM course may be a good idea but it is not fair that students can only enroll in this course after taking the math placement test.

There is no pre-requisite other than taking the math placement test which can only be taken two times and no more after that.

For some students, a brush-up on math is all they need to pass the math test and place into intermediate algebra. For others, it will take many math courses in order to enroll into the one they need.

It is not fair for students whose majors are in the arts to not be able to graduate or transfer due to math.

Creating a program like BAM could help students whose major doesn’t require taking many math courses.

If EC is going to adopt STEPS to its system then it should allow all students, new and returning, to show their transcripts from high school. It has to be a fair program for all students.

The solution to this placement test can be the programs; STEPS or BAM with a course that could allow students to enroll into a program like BAM based on their transcripts and not the placement test.

If the student feels confident they should have the option to take the placement test or be enrolled into a course that can help them to place in intermediate algebra.

The math department is a bitmore strict on the fact that youhave to take math courses without any if’s, and’s or but’s.

Math is a required course,  students must take it in order to graduate. Whether it’s taking intermediate algebra or a transferable math or even taking the required math course which leads to intermediate algebra, the students must take math.

This change will most likely make students more serious about their college careers. mainly by making sure they study and work hard to take and pass any English or Math class they may need.

Placement testing can be a big road block for many transferring students since placement testing is pretty much a requirement for every college, to become an enrolled student.

By being organized and dedicated to these classes, students will find themselves more productive and motivated in their everyday classes as well.

Everyone knows that math in particular can be very challenging but there are solutions and there is help out there for those who truly want it or need it.

There are tutors available to help students with their studies. So rather than waiting to take these classes or before taking the placement test, if you have to.

Students should look to study and learn from someone with expertise on that particular subject. Although placement test scores may have somehow become part of the placement process for many students or remain a preference, STEPS may be considered one of the first steps in changing the placement process.

_See related article on page 1