Graduation: Class of 2012

The time has come.

After numerous classes, homework assignments and what may feel like endless finals, the students of the class of 2012 will be walking down Murdock Stadium on June 8 to celebrate their accomplishments.

“For all of the hard work, seeing the graduating students’ happiness and accomplishments for that day is contagious,” Rebecca Cobb, director of student development, said.

The ceremony will be from 1 to 2:30 p.m. and will have around 1,000 students graduating. There will be a reception for graduating students and their families at the library lawn.

The student speaker this year will be Catherine Davies.

“She was really prepared, she memorized the speech,” Breanna von Stein, student service specialist, said. “You could tell that she practiced and was preparing for a very long time.”

The guest speaker will be Dr. Cinna Toy-Wohlmuth who is an EC graduate and doctor of medicine.

After the reception, graduates in their caps and gowns are expected to meet at the North Gym.

“There is a processional onto the Murdock Stadium lead by the faculty,” Cobb said.

Cobb said after arriving at the Murdock Stadium, students will receive their name cards. While going up the stadium, students will then give their name cards to a faculty member.

Once the name card is read, students are expected to receive their diploma by one of the vice presidents.

According to the EC website, commencement ceremony participants will receive a diploma cover at the time their name is read.

The actual diplomas will be mailed at a later date which will be sometime around September and October.

The commencement ceremony is expected to last from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and free parking will be available in parking lot F and parking lot H as the parking committee will be waiving the parking fee for this event.

For students interested in capturing moments of their graduation, photos will be taken and available for purchase.

“As they (students) are busy shaking hands and receiving their diplomas, their pictures will be taken by photographers,” Cobb said. “These photos can be purchased afterwards.”

Students interested in receiving photos via email or mail should provide their email to Bob Knight, photo representative. For students interested in emailing their information, they can visit the EC website.

While the commencement ceremony may be just around the corner, some students may already feel a sense of accomplishment.

“I have gone to school all year round without a break,” Kevin Hopp,20, psychology major, said. “It’s a very satisfying feeling to finally see the results of what I have done.”

Hopp said his experience being a student at EC was difficult but well worth it.

“I am definately going to feel weird waking up the next day (after the commencement ceremony),” Stephanie Corrales, 19, psychology major, said. “I’m going to think that I have to come back here.”

Corrales said after attending EC for the past two years, it would be difficult to picture life outside of college.

“I will have a two to three month vacation and not know what to do anymore,” Corrales said.

While some students may not be able to picture their lives after graduating from EC, others picture it as an opening to a new chapter in their lives.

“Graduating from El Camino will not end anything for me, but it will definately be the beginning of something new,” Hopp said.

Cobb said for each commencement ceremony, an estimate of 5,000 guests are expected to attend.

“For a lot of people, it’s the first time that their families have come to campus,” Cobb said.

“I feel accomplished with all the work I have done,” Bryan Park, 20, political science major, said. “With all of the family members being there, I will feel more supported and recognized for my accomplishments.”

Along with friends and family who may come to support the graduating students during the ceremony are staff and faculty members as well.

“It’s really an enjoyable experience for all of us involved,” Cobb said.