New administration members welcomed

Students may notice some new faces around campus with Rebecca Cobb, new director of student development, and Kenneth Brown, new board of trustees member.
Cobb, who was most recently employed as the student affairs adviser at Pasadena Community College, joined EC on Jan. 7, during the winter session.
For Cobb being a student affairs adviser was not enough for her as she wanted the freedom to socialize with students and hear their ideas.
“Students are what make me get up in the morning,” Cobb said. “There is never a dull moment with students around.”
Brown filled the seat on the board of trustees after longtime member Nathaniel Jackson died on Nov. 21, 2010.
In addition to his work with the board of trustees, Brown is working in his ninth year as a physics instructor at Cal State University Dominguez Hills and is an advisory board member for Cal State University Los Angeles and Los Angeles City College.  He previously had a full-time job working as a project analyst at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratories.
Some of Brown’s goals are to advocate for schools in our district, by preparing them for college and also to encourage current community college students to continue their education after El Camino.
“I want to make sure that students are prepared once they get into El Camino and they would be ready to get out,” Brown said, adding that only 15 percent transfer out of EC.
Cobb’s future goal is to increase the usage of the Student Activity Center and have a defined space by adding some furniture, pingpong tables and possibly video games.
“I want the Student Activities center to be more student friendly,” she said.
For the spring, her goal is to get more revenue for ASO and to inform faculty and staff about student discipline on campus.
“Rebecca Cobb is a great director.  She is easy to talk to, very helpful and she attends every one of our meetings,” Rebekka Asher, commissioner of activities, said.
As the new member, Brown’s colleagues have welcomed him with open arms and are happy to have him aboard.
“He had the background that enables him to catch on pretty quickly,” William Beverly, president of the board of trustees, said, “It was like jumping on a moving train, but he seems to be holding on pretty well.”

Students may notice some new faces around campus with Rebecca Cobb, new director of student development, and Kenneth Brown, new board of trustees member.  Cobb, who was most recently employed as the student affairs adviser at Pasadena Community College, joined EC on Jan. 7, during the winter session. For Cobb being a student affairs adviser was not enough for her as she wanted the freedom to socialize with students and hear their ideas.“Students are what make me get up in the morning,” Cobb said. “There is never a dull moment with students around.”Brown filled the seat on the board of trustees after longtime member Nathaniel Jackson died on Nov. 21, 2010.  In addition to his work with the board of trustees, Brown is working in his ninth year as a physics instructor at Cal State University Dominguez Hills and is an advisory board member for Cal State University Los Angeles and Los Angeles City College.  He previously had a full-time job working as a project analyst at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratories.  Some of Brown’s goals are to advocate for schools in our district, by preparing them for college and also to encourage current community college students to continue their education after El Camino.  “I want to make sure that students are prepared once they get into El Camino and they would be ready to get out,” Brown said, adding that only 15 percent transfer out of EC.  Cobb’s future goal is to increase the usage of the Student Activity Center and have a defined space by adding some furniture, pingpong tables and possibly video games.   “I want the Student Activities center to be more student friendly,” she said.  For the spring, her goal is to get more revenue for ASO and to inform faculty and staff about student discipline on campus.  “Rebecca Cobb is a great director.  She is easy to talk to, very helpful and she attends every one of our meetings,” Rebekka Asher, commissioner of activities, said.  As the new member, Brown’s colleagues have welcomed him with open arms and are happy to have him aboard.  “He had the background that enables him to catch on pretty quickly,” William Beverly, president of the board of trustees, said, “It was like jumping on a moving train, but he seems to be holding on pretty well.”