Bookstore overstocked with students

An E.C. police car is situated outside the campus bookstore as students form lines to purchase required textbooks.

No, these are not lines for Black Friday.
Resembling lines of bustling shoppers the morning after Thanksgiving, students on campus are heading to the bookstore in hopes of making their purchases with quickness and simplicity.
“I do research on my books, I either buy books from the bookstore across the street and online but if it’s here and I need it now, I’ll purchase it here,”  Maria De Santiago, 24, law major, said.
Although the campus bookstore is conveniently located on campus, student’s like Tuscany Stearns, 20, physical therapy major, was unsure if she should hold off on purchasing textbooks the first week of classes.
“It made me feel like a criminal, putting my purse in a locker, it is very inconvenient having to put in a quarter even though you get the quarter back,” Stearns said. “ The line was intimidating because it looped all the way around to the back.”
Even thought there is a discount bookstore located across campus, some students are choosing to purchase their textbooks on campus due to better buyback prices.
“I only came here because if I buy this particular book here, my professor made arrangements where I can sell it back for half the price,” Taylor Jones, 21, communication disorders major, said.
Barely a week in the semester, there have already been a few incidents officers have encountered at the bookstore.
“We have police officers at the bookstore and it has been successful because they have seen people take textbooks and they were put back,” Sgt. Dal Toruno said. “So far this week we have arrested a couple of people but we are only three days into the week.”
The bookstore hours for Feb. 14 -19 are Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. It is also open Saturday Feb. 19 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Regular bookstore hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. with Saturday and Sunday closed.

[nggallery id=3]