Big fines for skateboarding on campus

Wheels hit the pavement as a student on a skateboard races toward class, passing the sign stating that there is no skateboarding allowed on campus.
With student safety as a constant concern, the police are strictly enforcing the rule against skateboarding, bicycling and rollerblading on campus, Micheal Martinez, campus police officer, said.
“We have reports of injuries that have happened on campus, some including students, that have simply been struck by these objects,” Sgt. Dal Toruno
Toruno said that there are many signs throughout the campus that state that students are not allowed to skateboard, bike or rollerblade on campus and also includes the warning of receiving a fine.
“Several students have been injured so we have to enforce this rule and a warning goes out to every student that does it,” Martinez said. “They never get a ticket on their first time doing it. We write down the student’s information and the next time a fine will be given,”
Many students feel that it isn’t a problem the way the EC police portray it.
“I understand why people do skateboard on campus,” Ryan Payne, history major, said. “It’s a way to get around faster and not be on your feet walking all day,”
Many student skateboarders say the only reason they skate on campus is to make it to their class on time.
“Skateboarding on campus isn’t a big deal,” Santos Ozemena, pre-medicine major, said. “I just skate to get to class because I’m usually running late.”
However, student safety remains the main concern for the EC police. They agree that violations should be given on first sight, regardless of warnings.
“It’s easy to just give warnings and take down information, but it doesn’t stop students from skateboarding on campus,” Martinez said.
The current fine for a skateboarding violation is $150, almost double of what a parking ticket is on campus, Toruno said.
“The fine is high and isn’t really worth it, but the skateboarders do what they have to do,” Tamara Lindsey, physical education major said. “If they don’t bump into people, I don’t think it’s a big problem,”