Tutoring provides help with various courses

With mid-term season approaching sooner than we thought many students should take advantage of the many tutoring services on campus.
There are various reasons why students should consider tutoring, but one of the important reasons is so that students can reach their goal of passing a course or to transfer.
“We always have tutors available for students here at the Learning Resource Center,” Jan Ball Learning Resource Center tutor coordinator said.
“Students can come to the center as much as they want drop in tutoring is free, and we also encourage students to take advantage of the opportunity, no matter what the student’s goals are.
The campus Learning Resource Center isn’t just a good place for students to go for tutoring, the center also provides students to find a tutor for a paticular subject.
“We also provide private tutoring for students. They can look up a tutor for the subject that they want, give them a call, and decide on a price that is right for them,” Ball said.
Another tutoring Center available for students is Mathematics and Engineering Science Achievement (MESA) study center.
“MESA is a popular tutoring program for students majoring in subjects such as mathematics, engineering, computer science, biology, chemistry, physics, and so on, and students that are planning on transferring to a four year university, Arturo Hernandez director of MESA said.
The MESA study center also provides workshops for students enrolled in math and science classes.
“The Academic Excellence Workshops (AEW) are structured workshops lead by a trained facilitator who communicates with instructors on a weekly basis and students in core math and science classes are taught to maintain high academic outcomes through group study.” Hernandez said.
Ball said that regardless of which tutoring centers a student uses, they all serve the same purpose, Ball said.
“When a student gets tutored they gain more confidence, they learn new study skills and techniques that help them learn the subject they are having difficulty with, as well as being able to understand the subject better. Both of those things are really important,” Ball said.
For more information on where students can find a tutor and locations of where tutoring is offered on campus, students are encouraged to check the EC Web site.
“I think it’s important that everybody knows that tutors are here, that the teachers can encourage their students to come and use the tutoring services,” Ball said. “No matter what grade they want to get and how they want to change their grade, they are welcomed.”