Environmental technology to gain more classes

Going green is the latest fashion among many students and now with new classes being proposed, students can pursue environmental technology as a major.

EC is currently in the process of providing more environmental technology classes in the coming year so students can be updated with the latest green technologies.

“We’ve had an environmental technology program for three years now, and for us, it’s a great way to keep students updated with latest green technologies that are constantly been developing,” Stephanie Rodriguez, dean of the Industry and Technology Divsion, said.

Rodriguez said the classes will provide information about what green technology means, classes that will inform students about the types of careers they can pursue in environmental technology along with construction classes.

“The future of the environment has always been a great precaution and people are becoming more aware of it as we’re constantly developing new concepts like hybrid cars and using more solar energy to power buildings,” Rodriguez said.

With classes scheduled to start by the end of this year, many EC students believe that it is a good idea, but feel the school’s budget is something to consider.

“It’s a good idea to inform students, but there’s too much money being spent, it’ll probably work right now, but in the long run the classes will take too much money for the school to provide,” Taisen Brown, electronics major, said.

However, Rodriguez said there won’t be any drawbacks for the new classes that will require air conditioners and other new solar-energized equipment.

“The school’s budget is fit to provide more classes, and there shouldn’t be any drawbacks as far as equipment, because it’s another form of reinvesting in the school as well,” Rodriguez said.

The classes are a good idea with some students, but have others wondering if it will be a new requirement.

“I think it’s a good way to get more involved with the environment, but just don’t make it required to take,” Ryan Uvckovich, theater major, said.

There is no set requirement for the new classes, but many students said that they would be interested in them and see it as only a benefit.

“It’s a good idea and I’d consider taking a couple of classes so I can get more informed,” Jose Martinez, engineering major, said.