Students put hope in Obama’s education plan

President Barack Obama has vowed to make changes in education, from early childhood to the community college and university levels.

Obama has stated that every child has the right to an education.

“The United States’ standing in education needs to improve,” Ellen Antoine, political science instructor, said. “Our students spend less time in the classroom and the school year is shorter than that of other countries.”

Obama’s “Zero to Five Plan” is designed to put key emphasis on the care and education of infants.

“I want to see more funding for all students so education and health care can be more affordable,” Vincent Espinoza, business major, said. “Considering that Obama is a minority, there should be more opportunities for minorities.”

Obama also wants to reform “No Child Left Behind.”

“The way that they test for ‘No Child Left Behind’ is ridiculous,” Antoine said. “It’s completely unproductive and inadequate for both students and schools.”

Obama doesn’t want teachers to be forced to prepare students for “No Child Left Behind” standardized tests. Funding will increase for federal charter schools that are successful.

“We need to bring students who are below the curve up to the curve,” Angelo Pisu, film major, said.

Obama supports outreach programs for individuals from low income families to help them consider and prepare for college.

“There needs to be more time, money, and effort spent on education,” Antoine said.

America’s teachers are going to be recruited, prepared, retained and rewarded for their services.

“I would love for there to be fewer leniencies on standards for teachers. That would mean quality eduacation,” Pisu said.

Schools will be required to be accredited, which is intended to put additional pressure on schools and teachers to keep up with educational standards.

“They need to keep high standards for teachers and schools in order to be of greater benefit to students,” said Espina.

Obama is going to implement salary increases for teachers based upon performance.

“It is absolutely necessary that teachers are rewarded for their hard work, not just because they have been there longer,” Pisu said.

Some of Obama’s ideas of making college affordable are tax credits, such as the American Opportunity Tax Credit, which is a universal, refundable credit for the first $4,000 of a student’s college education.

“I’m happy to hear about the credit for students,” Espina said. “I am confident that Obama will make things easier for students.”