Final grade not so final for some students

While still in the process of petitioning for a grade change, a student hopes to inform others of their right to do the same.

Helena Susan, real estate major, is hoping that her petition to change a “B” grade to an “A” grade for a spring 2005 class will be successful.

Susan is no stranger to the petition process. Prior to undergoing her most recent petition attempt, she previously managed to change a letter grade in which she noticed was given to her in error.

“I was able to produce the paperwork along with my test; I protested the grade and got myself an ‘A,'” Susan said.

However, in her current process to amend her grade, Susan has hit a road block that has stifled her petition.ÿÿÿ

ÿUnfortunately for Susan, the Scantron to prove her true grade is lost, and it is up to her to gather the evidence to support her claims. However, despite the barrier in front of her, she hopes to tell others how to follow the rules to dispute their case.

“I wanted to protest the final Scantron test, but the professor threw it away within a month. It makes it hard to change a Scantron test when the professor throws away the Scantron,” Susan said.

Proof and hard documentation are needed in order to permit for a grade change to be done. The first step to getting that documentation starts with the professor.

“It is best for the student to speak to the instructor. It is up to the instructor to check his paperwork and determine if the petition is valid,”Ken Key, counselor, said.

ÿ”If anything, you should be aware of your rights as a student here.”

The 2007-2008 EC catalog states that the professor has the final say over what grade the student deserves. In the event of a “mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetence,” the student can then petition to have the professor re-evaluate the grade, sometimes with concurrence of the division dean.

According to the 2008 EC student grade change petition, a student has 18 months to submit his or her petition from the end of the term. However, students must be careful in reading the Grade Change document because the form can be confusing.

The two-sided form has what seems to be a contradiction that can potentially mislead a student.

One side states that the petition process will not be considered at all if the petition is turned in after the first 18 months.

However, the other side of the form, listed as an ECC Division of Admissions and Records student change petition, allows students to submit a petition form after the 18 months if all documents are clear and complete in explanation.

According to a representative at the Records Office, the extension for a grade change is only for extenuating and justifiable events, like in the event of an injury.

The Record Division still suggests that even if a student was hurt and needs to file an extension, the student must first meet with the professor and not the Division Office.

The Records Office also suggests for a student not to wait for deadlines to begin the process.

Helena Susan is still continuing to change her grade and she seems determined to go on until the proper decision is made.

ÿ”If I am wrong, then I am wrong, but if I am right, then believe me, this will continue,” Susan said.