Classrooms hit hard by recent rain

Editor’s note: This article is part of a series that will focus on campuswide problems.

During rainy weeks, puddles wet our feet and ceiling tiles close to falling are nothing new; however, these problems go long periods of time without change.

In Communications 101, storm water leaks from the closet and over electrical wires.

“I was surprised to see the puddles,” English professor Susan Bachmann said. “I had expected maintencance to do more by now.”

“Clearly, it’s a concern in terms of health,” she said.

Bachmann teaches English in Communications 101, located in the basement of the Communcations Building.

English professor Peter Marcoux uses rooms in the Humanities Wing, where weak tiles have fallen from the ceiling, leaving an unpleasant learning environment.

“They’re not great classroms to teach in. It gets distracting,” Marcoux said.

Faculty offices are also affected by the water.

Some professors are worried about the deterioraing walls and are worried about any harmful amounts of asbestos content that they may be exposed to, Bachmann said.

As requests and complaints are filed by professors, these types of problems receive attention from faculty.

“We have an office, H-seven, that floods every time it rains. The professor who was using that office had to move out,” dean of humanities Bobbi Villalobos said. “I think it’s much more complicated than what was thought at first.”

“We think we’ll find the leak and fix it, but it’s a lot more complicated than that.”

Marcoux does not expect any of the rooms in the Humanities Wing to be repaired any time soon due to construction plans.

In the near future, the Humanities Complex will be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up, Marcoux said.

During construction, professors of humanities will not be able to work around the construction, Bachmann said.

Professors will have to relocate their classes to other buildings, such as the Natural Science modules.

“It’s got to be safe, that should be the campus’ main concern,” Marcoux said.