New political club plans to support, represent democratic agendas

For voters who are disappointed with the current presidential administration and would like to actively support the Democratic Party, the El Camino College Democrats offers a forum where interested constituents may voice their opinion and actively support the democratic agenda.

“The El Camino College Democrats is a newly-formed club whose goal is to learn about the democratic process by participating in local, state and national elections,” according to a club flier.

“Our objective is to participate in our self-governance, to participate in any of those structures through which we govern ourselves as a democratic country,” Elizabeth Shadish, faculty adviser for the club and registered independent said.

“We want it to be a first-hand experience so we actually make our little bit of a difference.”

The club began as a group of students reacting to express the discontentment they felt toward the current administration.

“This is an election year that a lot of students and other non-students feel very strongly about,” Shadish said.

“That was the biggest motivation for starting the club.”

“Our students are doing all kinds of activities to get Bush out of office,” she said.

There are currently 10 members in the club. However, students who are interested are still able to join, Alex Nguyen, Political Science major and club member, said.

“(Interested students) are welcomed to join us,” Nguyen said. “They can sign up at the table on Tuesdays in front of the library; it would be nice if they could come to the meetings as well.”

The club meets on Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. in Room 112 of the Social Science Building.

Among the various activities planned by the club are precinct walks, where members visit local registered democrats and ask for their support at the polls, tabling at EC and its vicinity in order to distribute campaign literature, recruiting members, as well as watching the presidential election debates.

In the future, the club plans to bring guest speakers on campus as well as host and participate in debates.

“We believe that the democrats have a very strong position and are much more the party for everybody,” Shadish said.

“For those in the club, the idea is that we are not just going to sit around talking about who we like, or bitching about President Bush or the Bush administration; we are going to whatever we can do and learn how this works so that we have future politicians coming from the club,” she said.