Blood drive helps save many lives

Imagine a sibling getting in a car accident and losing a lot of blood. In order for him or her to survive, he or she needs a specific type of blood; however, due to a shortage of supply they will not make it. This is a situation several hospitals and doctors are currently facing.

Due to a low number of blood donors, the American Red Cross and Southern California need assistance in donating blood.

The American Red Cross usually imports 40 percent of the blood from other states, but critical shortages have reduced the blood supply in Southern California. Also, the hurricanes on the East Coast may be another factor reducing imports to Southern California.

“It’s for a great cause,” Jason Tran, president of the Inter-Club Council, said. “This is an opportunity to give back and help the community.”

The actual blood drive started last Wednesday, however, students may donate on campus Oct. 19-21 in the Activities Center in the East Lounge.

Something new the ICC administration has done for this year’s blood drive is extending the hours for Wednesday until 8 p.m.

“We are going to extend the hours so that night students and faculty can donate blood,” Tran said. “In previous semesters, the faculty could not donate due to how early we ended, so Wednesday is the perfect opportunity for them to donate some blood.”

The three-day bloodmobile is successful at EC because of its contributions from students, faculty, and the community.

“It’s a successful event,” Alex Calderon, commissioner of fundraising, said. “Our representative said that last semester we beat out some top main universities.”

As an incentive, there will be a special promotion through Nov. 30, where participants who fill out an entry form will be eligible to win a year’s supply of movie tickets.

For more information, interested students may contact the Inter-Club Council Office at (310) 660-6399.