CSUs extend their deadline for applications

Due to state funding received to accommodate more students, certain CSU campuses have extended deadlines for spring applications.

CSU Long Beach and Dominguez Hills have pushed their deadlines to Oct. 15 and Jan. 7, respectively.

In addition, there are several other campuses still willing to take applications.Compared to the UC system, CSU campuses are known for offering more flexibility in receiving applications. It is common for most CSU campuses to extend their deadlines; however, this is unusual for Long Beach.

CSU Long Beach is an impacted campus since it is popular to apply to; the extension will offer students a chance to transfer without having to wait another semester.

“We had planned to reduce enrollment because of the budget cuts that we had expected. Since the budget cuts were less than expected, we are able to avoid part of that reduction in enrollment,” David Dowell, Director of Strategic Planning for Enrollment at Long Beach, said.

The extension gives students enough time to apply for admissions for the next semester. It is also an opportunity for those who have been denied admission in the fall to apply again. (The extension) is only for transfer students, but applies to all undergraduate majors,” Dowell said.

The extension on universities will permit them “to enroll up the state-funded target.”

Earlier this year, budget cuts caused universities to reduce services and enrollment, but Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has agreed to fund programs that would escalate enrollment for the school year 2004-2005.

This resulted in an extra $40.3 million for the CSU system, allowing for an extra 7,500 students in the spring term.

“This funding will ensure that they receive the necessary support services to be successful at our campuses,” Charles Reed, CSU Chancellor, said

Students applying for spring admissions must apply through the familiar process like the one required during the regular filing period.

Applicants will be notified “on the usual notification timetable, starting in October,” Dowell said.

The same minimum CSU requirements are needed for the spring admission “for all but impacted majors,” while additional requirements for impacted majors are listed in the CSULB website.

The two methods for applying include mail-in or online applications through the CSU Mentor website at www.csumentor.edu.

Applications are also available at the Transfer Center in the Student Services Center.

“It is best to apply on the web; most universities prefer students to apply online,” Ramon Guizar of the Transfer Center, said.

While these campuses have extended their deadlines, others are strictly following the regular filing dates for spring applications, which is Aug. 1-31 of the year prior to enrollment.

Fullerton and L.A. aren’t extending their deadlines, while Northridge has not established a deadline yet.

CSU Mentor has posted a comprehensive list on it’s website of the admission status of all the CSU campuses as of the moment.

The campuses that are closed for spring 2005 admission are San Luis Obispo, Monterey Bay, San Diego State and San Francisco State. The rest are still open; however, most of them are on a conditional basis.

Priority is geared toward upper-level division transfers.Toni Beron, assistant vice president of public affairs / publications at Long Beach, said allowing to “allow more access to transfer students after the state legislature authorized increased funding late in the summer to support additional college enrollments.”