Online tutoring program boosts skills

Students who are struggling with reading or writing may now access a free online tutoring program, from home or school, Peter Marcoux, English professor said.

El Camino College inquired with textbook publishers Allyn & Bacon/Longman about online tutoring and was given a free subscription to the service for one year, effective as of fall 2004.

While subscription to services such as EBSCO Host cost El Camino College about $30,000 a year, the new tutoring services would normally cost about $3,000 to subscribe to for one year.

“We’re one of the first (colleges) to have this,” Marcoux said.

According to the flier, websites can be found at www.mycomplab.com, which has resources for writing, grammar, and research, while www.myskillslab.com contains resources for grammar, reading, vocabulary, and study skills.

“This is just a tool for those who need extra help,” Marcoux said, who teaches a “hybrid course,” in Room C205 in the Communications Building, using both the traditional aspects of classroom teaching interspersed with online elements as well.

Keti Taufoou, an engineering major, is a current student of Marcoux and has used both programs in class and at home.

“It’s user friendly; it has everything you need to know (on the site),” Taufoou said.

The lessons themselves are easy to use, he said.

“It tells you your errors and you can learn from that,” Taufoou said.

Taufoou said that the tutorials are good because they can be used without the aid of an instructor; however, this also acts as a weakness in the program itself.

“There’s not someone to communicate with you; an instructor gives feedback on what you did,” he said.

The absence of an instructor can sometimes leave the student incapable of knowing what they did wrong in detail, and does not tell them what could be done instead.

“You can’t elaborate on what you did wrong; you have to figure it out yourself,” Taufoou said.

Although current instruction only relates to reading and writing, several professors hope that other tutoring programs will be available by spring 2005.

“A lot of instructors have been showing interest, a half-dozen at least,” Marcoux said.

Other possible subjects for future online tutoring include psychology, criminal justice and math.

Students interested in the tutoring program may stop by the Writing Center or ask an English professor for more information. Students will be given a password and user identification for the website.

In relation to tutoring, and with regard to textbook prices, Marcoux also said that students should “take advantage” of any online programs or CD-ROMs that may be included with textbooks.

“It’s (online tutoring) only as strong as the students who use it,” Marcoux said. “Students have to use it, and use it regularly to see the benefits.