Presidential candidates approach education differently

Editor’s note: This article is part of a series that will be focusing on the 2004 elections.

As the election looms closer, President Bush’s and Sen. Kerry’s program to help college-bound students with their applications are a few of the many education plans for both candidates.

When it comes to education, both candidates differ in their plans to strengthen or reform college education.

“President Bush will increase student financial aid to help more students afford college,” the Bush platform states.

Another way Bush wants to change college education is through a program called dual enrollment.

“President Bush would provide $125 billion in grants to serve as an incentive for community colleges to provide dual enrollment programs, allowing high school students to earn college credit and graduate in less time,” Bush’s platform states.

“The idea of having high school students in college is hard because there is already a lack of funding – we are over populated as it is,” Dr. Ellen Antoine, professor of political science, said.

In addition, Bush will provide incentives for states to make it easier for students to transfer credits earned at community colleges to four-year institutions.

“I don’t know where the problem is because I think the college already has an easy time transferring credits,” Antoine said.

Another plan the president has to strengthen college education is to reform student loans to better serve them.

The president will increase loan limits for first-year students from $2,625 to $3,000 allowing low-default schools more flexibility in loan disbursements.

Kerry has a different approach toward college education.

“John Kerry will offer a college opportunity tax credit on up to $4,000 of tuition for four years of college, the Kerry platform says.

The tax credit will be available to families who have trouble with the cost of college and to young people who are paying for their own education, Kerry’s website said.

Kerry also has plans for making college more accessible and affordable; his platform says he wants to simplify the student aid applications process.

Currently, there are more questions on a $5,000 student loan application than on a $2 million small business loan.

Another plan that Kerry has is called his “National Service” plan.

It is designed to give hundreds of thousands the opportunity to afford college after they have served the country for a certain number of years.

“The Kerry-Edwards plan would engage 500,000 more Americans in national service each year within a decade, compared to 75,000 in AmeriCorps this year,” Kerry’s platform says.

The national service duties would include: helping educate children in troubled schools, improving homeland security, and serving in other critical areas, by building affordable housing, helping seniors live independently, and by keeping water and parks clean, Kerry’s website says.

“They do that now for veterans, but if they expand then it’s great; that was an idea that President Clinton started and it really is great,” Antoine said.